Saturday, June 11, 2011

Family Day Hike

Pleasant Grove City Recreation does an amazing job of keeping this city recreated, in my opinion. Even though this isn't quite the one-horse town I grew up in, it is still no metropolis and I think our recreation department is awesome. They offer a huge variety of programs for an affordable price. I can't think of a bad experience I have ever had with them - except maybe that creative writing class my mom made me take when I was little. But certainly as a grown up, I think they are the best.



For a few years they have offered a Family Day Hike and Breakfast and I've always wanted to go. The stars have never aligned on the scheduled date so we have never gone. This year, we did get the perfect alignment, so we went.



I need to mention that it is more suited to families with kids younger than mine, but we still had a good time. They had a door prize for every family, and the breakfast was actually better than I had expected. I had just figured on something like muffins and juice/milk, which they did have, but they also had a variety of fresh fruits and even hot scones. We ate pretty quickly since I didn't have little kids who needed help, and off we went on the hike up to the waterfall (the 1st waterfall in Battle Creek Canyon, for you locals).



Since we were among the first to head up the trail, the rec dept workers were still getting some game stations set up where the kids could stop and do different sorts of little games. I'm not sure what the games were, but they were all going strong on our way back down the hill and the kids all seemed to be having a lot of fun.



So to make a long story even longer, my point is that if you haven't participated in the Family Day Hike and Breakfast, you should. Especially if you have small-ish children. They hold it in June and there is no charge, which makes it even better!




Taylor and Jack just starting out on the hike. Taylor was NOT in the mood for family fun.

Addie was really proud that she made it all the way up. We did this hike last summer, but she was faster this time, and Taylor and Dad didn't finish, but she did!




Jack and Addie in front of the waterfall.



Ummm . . . did Jack finally pass me up in height?



The theme this year was "Up," so they released a bunch of balloons. We didn't see it until they got pretty far up in the sky and kinda dispersed out.




So who is ready to go on this hike with us? It doesn't take very long, isn't very steep, and isn't very far up the canyon. Let me know - I'll go anytime.

1 comment:

Syme Family said...

Sounds fun! Let us know when it is again and maybe we could come down!