Monday, May 16, 2011

"That Doesn't Make Any Sense"

I have learned something about myself.



At the time of my last posting, I was pretty much swearing off this 5k training. I had reached my limit, could go no further, was as discouraged as I have ever been in my life. But then a funny thing happened. I somehow got a second wind.



I realized that if I stopped the running at this point, after 4 painful (PAINFUL) months, 4 long (LONG) months of moving from running for 1 minute (which was hard) to 5 minutes (which was still hard), I would no longer be able to run for 5 minutes. Confused? I know. I'm an irrational person. As I tried to explain to a co-worker, "If I quit now I won't be able to do it anymore." His rational response? "That doesn't make any sense. If you hate doing something, stop doing it." But as I continued to (irrationally) explain, "Yeah, but then I won't be able to do it anymore."
He shook his head and walked away.



I set the treadmill to random hills. I set my max speed. The fastest I can walk is 3.8 mph, after that I have to run. So just for kicks and giggles I set the max speed to 4.4 and the "random" speeds had me run for 8 minutes. 8 minutes? Are you kidding? And the total run time for the session added up to 21 minutes. What??? Well, let me tell you, nothing encourages this old gal like a success, and that was a HUGE success.



I continued on like that for a while, even beating my 8 minutes with an 8.5 minute run on another "random" day. This gave me the courage to get back to the C25k training. So I bravely picked up where I had left off: the Dreaded Week 5.



It wasn't the beginning of Week 5 that I dreaded so much - (3 5 minute runs divided with 2 3 minute walks, then 2 8 minute runs with a 5 minute walk) - it was the last day of Week 5, which I did today: a 20 minute run, no walking. YIKES!!! I have been really dreading this since I saw it was part of the training. I can NEVER do that, I thought. NEVER.



Well, since Week 5 Days 1 and 2 turned out to be too easy (how is that possible?) I took on Week 5 Day 3 today. If nothing else, I have learned this about myself: If I tell myself, "Well, let's just do the 8 minutes and see how it goes after that," I wll have enough energy to do 8 minutes and no more. So I went to the gym today knowing it was all or nothing. I had to do all 20 minutes or die trying.



I did the 20 minutes. I did it. I really, seriously did it.



I didn't die. I didn't even want to die. I wasn't breathless. I didn't need to call 911. I didn't collapse on the floor. My shins didn't scream out for relief. I didn't cry. I didn't throw out a hip. I didn't bleed out my eyes . . . or my ears. My hair didn't fall out. I didn't call for a wheelchair.



I stretched, and stepped off the treadmill. That was it.



Who have I become? How is it that I reached a place where the thought of not running is more painful than the actual running?



And I have signed up for the 5k.



It doesn't make any sense.

6 comments:

JENNE said...

The first tim I ran 1 mile I called my sister and screamed in her ear! I did it, I did it!! you are on your way girl, and it totally makes sense.
Way to go!!!

Molly said...

I completely UNDERSTAND!!! Yeah for you! I am excited for you and this new found not-hate for running!!!

Draper Duo said...

Way to go!!! Now I just gotta catch up to you. There is one thing I hate more than running and that is paying to run - ie Strawberry Days 5k. But I promised to do it with you...just gotta get my stuff in gear and run for 20 min!

Syme Family said...

GOOD JOB LARI!

Anonymous said...

Still doesn't make sense to me. But I have never got that far!
Congratulations!

Kari said...

It makes perfect sense. As I read your last post, I remembered when I hit that exact thought--realizing that over five months of running, I'd gone from barely making it two laps around the track to 3+ miles without stopping. Best motivator ever. And that feeling that "I have to do it so I can keep doing it"--that need to not lose it--I'm right there with you.
Good for you. I'm glad you found it. That's a serious milestone.