Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Not feelin' the Love

I hate running. No, I mean it. I realllllly HATE running. With the white hot passion of a thousand suns, I hate running. I only started out on this odyssey because some stupid ladies I know (Stephanie and Molly) inspired me . . . thanks a lot for that. (They aren't really stupid, but I have to rationalize my behavior at their expense.)


I have sincerely hoped over the course of the last 13 weeks that the love of running would come. I kept waiting . . . and hoping . . . Maybe I don't love it because of the shin splints, I would think. Or maybe because I can't run very far. Or maybe because I feel stupid with all the skinny, beautiful people around. Maybe next week I'll love it, I would think/hope. But after 3 months, I'm still not feelin' the love.



Life is too short to do stuff I hate (except laundry, which I haven't found a cure for).



So it is time to re-evaluate the goal(s):



1. Establish a regular routine of exercise. Done. I have gone to the gym at least 3 times a week since I started this madness in January. Sometimes 4 times. Except the week I got sick. On the off days I usually do something less complicated at home, such as a yoga video or weights. I've been a diligent girl. The routine of exercise need not, of course, be running. It's all about simply being active. And the best exercise is the one you will actually do, right?



2. Learn to (love to) run. Done . . . partly. My running has improved, without a doubt. I can run a 5 minute stretch. It has taken me 13 weeks to get this far, so I'm clearly moving at a snail's pace, but it is quite a magnificent accomplishment for a recovering couch potato. However, as I stated, the "love" part has not taken root, and I still hate every single step.



3. Run the Strawberry Days 5k. This is iffy at best. As I stated above, I still HATE running. The 5k was supposed to be the crowning achievement of the 5k training, so if I stop the official training, what's the point of the 5k?



4. Lose weight. The underlying goal of all of this was to lose a few (who am I kidding? More than a few) pounds. In this aspect, the 5k training has pretty much been a failure. After 3 months I have lost exactly 2 pounds and 1.5 inches. Not exactly the sort of thing to keep a gal movitated, you know?



So what to do now? Now Lari takes her well established 3 day routine and tries to find something she actually likes to do. Like weights. I like weights. Or yoga. I think I like that. Or walking on the treadmill on a pre-programmed workout that goes fast and slow, incline and flat, and does include some running.


The pattern is set. Now I just gotta find the love.

4 comments:

Kristen said...

Ty says that running is a punishment your coach gives you when you are late for practice. So who would want to punish themselves for fun? I still do that crazy breathing thing on occasion. Works everytime I do it consistently.

Draper Duo said...

So I have started my 5k training as of last Friday. Went well and I intend to stay on track. I know I promised to run the Strawberry Days 5k with you. So are you still planning on running it then or no? Cause i think its ridiculous to have to PAY to run (two things I hate, paying and running) but would be a good accomplishment.

Kimmy said...

I feel you. We got a treadmill and for 5 days a week since the beginning of February I have been on it. I don't love it, but I do like feeling better after. I haven't lost much, maybe a few pounds, which is disappointing. Lots of work and not a lot to show for it. So frustrating!

Angie said...

Needak Rebounder: a.k.a. mini trampoline. Very fun & bouncy--feeling of weightlessness--and NO shin splints. 6-8 minutes on a mini trampoline is the equivalent of jogging 1 mile. If you'd like, you're welcome to try mine. :)