Monday, January 3, 2011

Just When You Thought We Couldn't Get Any White-Trashier

I was privileged to enjoy one last day of Holiday Pay today thanks to a perfect alignment in the Universe of New Years Day falling on a weekend. And I embraced it, baby, I embraced it. I got lots done. Lots of those little annoying things that just sit around . . . day after day . . . not getting done. And some of those things that I still do every week but wish they would just go away. Like laundry. But in honor of my last day of Holiday Pay for a little while, I cooked/baked. What a delightful break from the hurriedness of the holidays and the different-but-still-hurried hurriedness of normal days.


I decided this morning that chicken noodle soup sounded good since it's been so darn cold. Then, I realized that since I had ALL DAY LONG I could also bake some bread or rolls for a change. THEN I realized that if I was making soup anyway, why not bread bowls? And since I had ALL DAY LONG, why not make noodles?



Noodles aren't hard to make. Hard to roll out, sure - but not hard to make. My shoulders and arms were sore after rolling out a double batch of noodles, and Lane conveniently showed up to help me after I was done rolling it. He did help me with the cutting though. As a delicately lay the noodles down on my baking racks to dry, I realized that a double batch was far too much to fit on the racks. Hence, the birth of "Hillbillly Pasta Racks:"


Oh yeah. 3 coat hangers full. It was white-trashiness at it's finest. But, hey, it worked, Perfectly in fact. Hmmm. Pay $10+ for an authentic pasta rack or pay $0 for a coat hanger. Well, I think we all know how that decision is going to come out.


My bread bowls turned out quite perfectly. If anything, they were a little shallow, but for me they were great. Nothing beats warm, homemade bread on a cold day.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Your bread rolls look delish!! Are they just big rolls or a special bread bowl recipe? I love the noodles as well. Way to go!