Tuesday, January 11, 2011

But I Don't Wanna

Since it turns out I can't spend my earthly days doing only things I want to do, I have resolved to do one thing every day that fits into the "But I don't wanna" category. Yesterday I mopped. I don't like to mop. I really, really, don't like to mop. Almost as much as I don't like to do laundry. Almost, but not quite. Laundry still wins. Today I washed dishes by hand. My kids have a terrible habit of leaving piles of dishes that won't fit into the dishwasher piled on the counter. And the dishes we have that can't go in the dishwasher - like my stoneware pans, baking mats, and baggies (yes, I wash baggies) - yeah, they leave those too. So rather than having my usual screaming rant, I just washed the dishes. Strangely, there is a good deal of satisfaction that comes with accomplishing something from the "But I Don't Wanna" category, once you get past the "But I Don't Wanna" argument with yourself. I waste far too much time every day having that argument with myself - from the time the alarm goes off in the morning (and I hit snooze 3 times as part of the argument) to when I go to bed knowing I should read my scriptures - and sometimes I actually do. If this old dog could just learn some new tricks, I would probably find surplus hours in my day from not having that argument.

2 comments:

Draper Duo said...

OMG! My mom washes baggies too. Never could figure that out. Its hanging up used paper towels to dry for reuse.

Linda Funk said...

My justification for not doing something now is "I can always do it tomorrow!"