Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Busy, Busy May


On May 19 Taylor graduated from Seminary.  It was so neat because for the first time ever, the Bishops announced the mission calls for the young men as they read their names for their diplomas.  Not all the young men had received mission calls yet, but quite a few had and it made it fun to hear where they were all going.  We are so proud of Taylor! 


May 29 brought Jack's 8th Grade Completion Ceremony.  Even though Jack has been so busy and involved in so many things during his 7th and 8th grade years, he has maintained a perfect 4.0 GPA.   For 8th Grade he earned the Viking Attendance Award, the Viking Citizen Award, the Viking Gold Scholar Award, the Excellence in US History Award (hooray!!!!), and the Viking On Board Award.  I'm not quite sure what those last two are, but since the one is in History it must be extra awesome!




Waiting for the Completion Ceremony to begin . . .



I signed us up to do the Run of Remembrance again this year.  We have done no training.  None.  We had really good intentions once it started to get sorta warm, but we got busy with this and that . . .  and we got lazy because that's who we are . . . and so it just never got done.  I was half tempted to withdraw from the race, but figured it wouldn't hurt us so we did it.


Jack has done some training since he ran track this spring, and he had a personal best time of around 28 minutes, and he ran the whole 3 miles.




Here is Lane finishing around 52 minutes.  Jack wouldn't allow him to walk across the finish line, so he ran alongside his dad to encourage him.  The reason Jack isn't next to Lane in the picture is because Lane kept hitting Jack; he wasn't too happy to be there in the first place.  Luckily this child abuse was not captured on film.



Jack ran alongside me as well for the last stretch.  I tried to alternate my runs and walks - run 1 song on my ipod, then walk 1, and so forth.  I followed that plan for the most part, except that I was supposed to run just as I got to the big hill at American Fork Cemetery, so I walked that part too.  It was a good race, great weather, and despite my earlier misgivings I'm glad I did it.  My time was 45:35, which I am very happy with considering my zero training.  My personal best is 43 minutes, so I'm not sure what that means.  I trained really hard (well, really hard for me) for that 43 minutes, and not at all for 45.  Hmmmmm......





We made our usual rounds at the PG Cemetery for Memorial Day.  We went down on Saturday instead of Monday and it was much less crowded.  Only Jack and I were available to go.  Taylor was working and Addie was sick.  Or so she claimed.  I think she didn't want to go to the "boring Cemetery."




May 11 was Prom.  It will be a few years before I have to worry about dressing a daughter for the Prom again.  Taylor looked so pretty in her dress and had a really good time with her date.


Where do the years go?


I remember when Taylor was born and her graduation seemed a lifetime away.  And here we are.  I'm so excited for her to go to USU and hopefully have as much fun as I did and make lots of memories.  Despite all of our mistakes as first-time parents, I think she turned out ok.  Better than ok.  I think she's wonderful.  She's a Very. Good. Buscus.

No comments: