Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Only serious applicants need apply

This was the result of another Cupcake Experiment Day. As a lover of the delightful combination of chocolate, caramel and pretzels I put them together in a cupcake. WAYYYYY too rich to make very often, but pretty good I think.

My company buys daffodils for all the female employees this time of year. It's a fundraiser for cancer. They smell good and really go a long way to brighten up a cubicle.
Taylor has found a job, at long last. She is working at the Cinemark in American Fork. This provides her with an occassional free movie. Since she is the only movie-goer in the family, it's a good fit. I wish she had found something closer, but we are all just glad she found something. She seems to like the More Money - Less Family Time concept that having a job provides. She thinks she has outgrown us, I think.
Jack could have just hired her to be her secretary/driver, of which he has a tremendous need. He is so busy right now. The FCCLA conference is over, so that's a huge relief. He had a lot of fun at the conference in Layton - which included 2 nights at a hotel - and he scored a silver medal with his Plarn presentation. Somehow in all the madness of packing his bag and checking it twice, and bedazzling his presentation board, we forgot to pack his Plarn hat. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Lane drove up to pick Jack up on the last day of the conference to get him to his track meet at Lehi High on time. Then we had to go pick him up from the track meet to get him to his scout activity close to on time (ok, 15 minutes late. Lehi traffic is terrible!) Hopefully there won't be many days like that one. But I do have to pick him up from his next track meet early to get him to basketball practice on time. See - I wasn't kidding about the driver and the secretary.
We are to go see Dr. Day at PCMC on Monday with Addie. That's always an eventful trip. Fingers crossed for no surprises. Addie does like to throw us the occassional curve ball.
I went out for a run this evening. I haven't run outside yet this year, and I was really curious as to how it would go. I had planned a course that included a lot of downhill, since it's been a while. Even over the winter I have been far from consistent. Well, I am pleased to say that it went pretty well. I made it 1.6 miles before it started to get dusky and I thought I better head home. With the days staying lighter longer, I should be able to extend that out. It is also worth noting that the instructor at the running class I took recently encouraged running on uneven suraces, like gravel, grass, etc. With all due respect to those in charge of such things, I think many of the paved roads in this old town of mine easily qualify as an uneven running surface.
My goal is to do a 5k this summer and actually run the entire 3 miles. My stride is so short and my cadence so slow that I will never, EVER be a contender but a "real" completion would be nice. Especially if I could convice some 5k committee to start the race at my house and do the entire thing downhill. Except for the real runners. They should have to do some uphill. Just to even things out.
April 24 brings our 20th wedding anniversary. We should do somthing really exciting to celebrate. I don't know what. At our advanced age, and the exhaustion that is keeping up with the busy schedules of our family, that something exciting might be a quiet night in and going to bed at 10. Maybe 10:30 if we are really feeling like living on the edge.

No comments: