Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Note To Self - Buy More Frozen Peas

It hurts. It hurts so much. Why, oh why, must it hurt soooooo much?



Shouldn't this whole running thing be getting better by now? Then why is it getting harder? Why at about week 8 or so (I know my C25K says week 3 - that's just how pathetic I am) are my shin splints back with such a vengence? Is it possible that some people just aren't built for running and are, in fact, built for simply sitting around eating rice krispy treats and watching TV?



Did I mention that it hurts?



And I'm down to my last 2 bags of frozen vegetables.



I barely completed my session tonight. Even with telling myself, "Come on, you big Fatty. You can do an extra half lap. It's only a half lap. Not even a full lap extra. Just a half." I was positive. I had a good vibe. But the vibe did not communicate itsself to my shins and I was actually gritting my teath and willing the tears not to fall as I finished up my 3 minutes. Even Addie could tell I was dying. Today the heart and lungs were willing, but the legs couldn't do it. If I could just get my heart/lungs and legs on the same page, I would be doing just fine.



I ordered myself a book from Amazon and it arrived a few days ago. It's a book, called "Lost Moon" that I've wanted to read for a while, but the PG Library doesn't have it. So I ordered it up on Amazon for about $7 including shipping.



"Lost Moon" is the story of Apollo 13 written by James Lovell. I have seen Apollo 13 the movie so many times I can nearly recite it and I never miss a documentary (if I know it's on) that has to do with the moon landings. Some people may call it an obsession. Of course, I know that it's perfectly normal. Anyone who doesn't share my passion is misguided. It's as simple as that.



So imagine the thrill in my heart when my book arrived, hardbound and in lovely condition, and I found it was autographed. There was no mention of an autograph on the Amazon description. Sure, it says "To Eddie - James Lovell", but I don't care. What a happy surprise!



My inbox is open to any and all suggestions to help my ailing shins. I'm pretty sure a long foot rub would heal everything, but so far Lane is unwilling to help me out. Says he doesn't "do feet." Maybe I'll just break out my last box of samoas. It's not quite the same, but it's the best I've got.

2 comments:

Molly said...

What about checking with a doctor or physical therapist? Stephanie had the same and a PT helped hers out a ton!! I'm sorry it hurts - you are doing great!

JENNE said...

I had really bad shin splints when I first started running, I bought compression socks that come to your knees. (diabetics wear them)I wore them for awhile until that muscle gets strengthened. Try 'em they work and don't give up. I know it is frustrating, but do not give up.