Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Let's Eat!

When life gets crazy, as it frequently does around the Funk Homestead, we eat out.  The following list is representative of my faves only, the others can speak for themselves.  For instance, Lane could eat at Taco Amigo every single day.  That's excessive.  Hey, I like Taco 'Migi (that's what our kids called it when they were small) as much as the next PG resident, but come on. That's a lot of Taco Amigo.
 
 
So here are my top 5 choices when I get to choose and have some time to spare, because, let's be honest, none of these are quick in-and-out sorts of places.
 
 

BEST WINGS:  I am a lover of wings.  Hot and spicy . . . garlic-y . . . tobacco-y.  Yum.  Don't let anyone deceive you:  Buffalo Wild Wings is not the best wing place around.  Actually, it's not even close.  I was left disappointed when we went there.  The best wings around are at Rocky Mountain Wingshak in American Fork.  They don't have as many sauce options as BWW, but they do have quite a few (substantially more than the normal hot/mild options).  The best one there?  Garlic Pepper.  Get the boneless wings - much easier to eat.  Oh, and get the tots with it.  (Location: next to Coldstone in American Fork).




BEST SOUTH-OF-THE-BORDER CUISINE:  Milagros.  They have a Mango Chicken Salad that I would sell one of my children for.   This is a sit-down place, not the normal cattle-call that is Café Rio/Costa Vida.  Real plates, not foil thingys.  Real cups, no lids.  Chips and 2, count them -2, 2 kinds of salsa.  Sometimes on weekend nights they have some kid come around and play guitar at the tables.  Some call that ambiance.  I call it annoying.  But I am willing to overlook that for the greater good.  And good it is.  (Location:  Orem, 800 North near Winco and Taco Time)


BEST BARBECUE:  Smoking Apple.  I do love me some Brisket.  It used to be that Wallabys had the best brisket around.  But then Smoking Apple came to town.  Their brisket is so good and tender it almost melts in your mouth.  You'll want to get the smashed potatoes and side salad with it.  And on the salad you want the house dressing, I think its a raspberry vinaigrette.  YUMMY!   They also have ribs and pork and a really good cheesesteak, but I stick with the brisket.  (Location: Lindon State Street, top of the hill.)

BEST SUBS:  Firehouse Subs. Jack is usually the cause of our busy-ness and twice a month he has a trombone lesson at Summerhays Music in Orem right at dinner time. His lesson goes for an hour so I take the time to find something to eat.  We stumbled upon Firehouse Subs once while trolling for something other than Subway to eat during his lesson.  These are easily the best subs around.  Lots of choices, both hot and cold.  The only problem is that it is way down in Orem so we only go when Jack has a lesson.  (Location:  University Parkway, Orem, south of University Mall)



BEST BURGERS:  Holding this coveted spot for about 15 years now (I was pregnant with Jack when they opened), is JCWs in American Fork.   They  know how to do Bacon!  And as a side note, they have the best Dr. Pepper mix around.  You know how it tastes different from one fountain to another?  JCWs got it just perfect.  You will want to order anything with bacon on it, onion rings (also the best around) and a shake.   But only get a small or a mini.  DO NOT get a large shake unless you have a small army to share it with.  (Location:  American Fork State Street, around 500 East)



Sorry I am too lazy to google addresses.  I should have done it while I was looking up the pictures.  Let me know what you think when you go try out these places, because you should if you haven't.  I'll even volunteer to go with you.  Except for Firehouse Subs.  Unless you are driving or it's Trombone Lesson day.

On that note, I'm off to Trombone Lessons now.  :)  Guess what's for dinner?

No comments: