Wednesday, December 5, 2012

It's a Sickness

 

The love I have for all things Christmas is equaled only by my disdain for Halloween. As I have mentioned before, Addie being born to me on Halloween, and thus forcing me to show some degree of interest in Halloween, is the greatest proof of the existence of Karma. So since I am forced against my will to show some minor enthusiasm for Halloween, I cross-stitched this witch to add to my meager collection of Halloween decor.



This boy of mine likes almost nothing more than eating.  I found it quite amusing at Thanksgiving dinner that Jack's "Round 1" consisted only of potatoes and gravy and the giant turkey leg.  Before he started eating, the potatoes took up all of the plate not occupied by the turkey leg.  I don't recall how many Rounds of eating there were, but I know it was enough to keep the rest of us amused.  Monitoring Jack's food intake is not only a full-time job, it is also a tremendous source of entertainment.  I've been told he has reached Legend status at the Family Reunion.  We're so proud.




So back to my love for all things Christmas. A person simply cannot have too many Christmas tree ornaments.  I add quite a few every year:  the annual Hallmark Scarlett ornament plus a photo ornament of each of the 3 kids and one family photo ornament (yes, that's why I hoard Orange Juice lids), plus maybe one or two more when I just can't help myself.  What can I say?  I'm weak.  In the above photo, the kids are showing off one of their favorites - it's the Leg Lamp in the crate.  Yes, it lights up.  Yes, it does say "Fra-gee-lay.  Must be Italian." 



In keeping with the "Christmas Story" theme (again, I simply can't resist), this is Hallmark's 2012 offering:  The House on Cleveland Street, complete with the Leg Lamp lit up in the front window.



Another of my many weaknesses - Fisher Price circa 1970s.  Last year Hallmark brought us the little house, and this year it's the Popper.  And it pops.  It really pops.  Could. Not. Be Cuter.  I bought 4 of them.



And, of course, Scarlett and Rhett - "Sir, you are no gentleman" - from the BBQ at Twelve Oaks when she has her temper tantrum and throws the vase.


Naturally, all these ornaments take up space and so this year we have 4 trees.  Yes, I said 4.  But one is a small, table-top tree so it doesn't really count.  We sprung for a nice, bushy, real tree this year.  On it is hung all the glass, traditional, ball-type ornaments.  Then we have "Lane's Tree," which is the white artificial tree that we got some years ago because Lane was fool enough to tell me he liked white trees (it became tree #2, so this mess is really his fault).  Lane's tree has all the Hallmark ornaments on it.  Then the original artificial tree has all of our homemade ornaments on it - including the ones made at school and primary - truly the most treasured of the Christmas ornaments.  They are the funnest ones to hang because whichever kid made the ornament has to show it off like it's made of gold (it is to me) and say "I remember when I made this!!!"


And this is why I love Christmas.   All the memories.  All the traditions.  All the family time.  It becomes more and more precious as I realize how fleeting the time is with small children.  Christmas turns us all back into children, to one degree or another.  With the 3 holidays all lined up - Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years - it is such a perfect time to reflect on how blessed we are, how much love we have to share.  Truly, it is the Most Wonderful Time of the Year.

2 comments:

Mama Mie said...

" I don't recall how many Rounds of eating there were, but I know it was enough to keep the rest of us amused. Monitoring Jack's food intake is not only a full-time job, it is also a tremendous source of entertainment."

We have one of those too. We have friends who like to invite us over or come over here for dinner just to be entertained by a certain someone and their eating methods, techniques, quantities, etc.

I totally understand how truly entertaining (and unbelievable) this can be!!!

Unknown said...

Hello, Your posts are so informative and we had fun reading those.

We already followed your blog. ^_^

-John & Carla

teastebuds.blogspot.com