Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Vote Lari for Mean Mom!!



Jack had to do a Recycling presentation for his FCCLA conference on Monday. He chose to do Plarn, which is yarn made out of plastic grocery bags. He convinced Taylor to loom a hat out of said Plarn, which we stupily forgot to include in the photograph.


He did pretty well at the conference, considering neither one of us fully understood the instructions and judging criteria. He scored in the Silver range, and was given much helpful feedback so he can improve his presentation when he takes it to the state FCCLA conference. I am so impressed that he chose to be a part of this group, I didn't push him . . . or even give him a gentle nudge. He just came home one day early in the school year and announced he wanted to join FCCLA. And as far as I can tell, he's had a good experience and says he will participate again next year. Maybe he is not my son after all. I was too big a baby to ever do anything when I was in school. It's one of my many, many regrets.


It's getting to be time to psych myself up to do the taxes. I have all my paperwork now, I just have to do it. It's not a job that I enjoy - even less so than doing my checkbook, which is saying a lot - but I know I have money coming back so I better get to it soon. Taylor has a W2 this year. And since I'm auditioning for the Mean Mother title, I will make her do it herself. On paper. With a pencil. I am just that cruel. Maybe, if I'm feeling a little bit generous, I'll give her a calculator. My Mean Dad made me do my own taxes when I got my first job at 16. On paper. With a pencil. (Never mind that was the Way-Old days before Turbo Tax). Once I got done being mad about it, it was one of the best things I ever learned how to do. Yes, it was in fact the EZ form, but I was able to keep doing my own taxes - on paper, with a pencil - up until the time we bought our first house in 1996.


That should pretty much give me the title of Mean Mother. That and I took her phone away for not paying her bill. That was pretty mean too. And it's probably pretty mean to keep telling her she'll thank me one day.

4 comments:

Draper Duo said...

is it wierd I like doing taxes? Good for you being a mean mom - Taylor will thank you later :)

Mama Mie said...

Kassie only likes doing taxes because hers haven't gotten really complicated yet. :) And I'm curious if Kassie says she'll thank you later, does that mean that Kassie is about to that later when she will thank her own mother for being mean? I figured I was the meanest one out there. I have a great poem on being a mean mom, Lari, If you want a copy.

Unknown said...

You do forget the Young Republican's Club and the Orin Hatch Youth Advisory Committee. OH! And FHA. Somehow we were in FHA. I was in the presidency of FHA. For non-joiners we did some stuff.

Unknown said...

Unknown is Jen 'williams' Mc. I don't know why I'm unknown.